Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Tools of the Trade

In keeping with the weight-loss theme, here are a few of the tools that I have in my arsenal that will guide me along the way:

1.  LoseIt-  This is a weight-loss app/website that has helped me in the past.  This tool is an excellent way to keep track of calories in vs. calories burned.  You can even scan the barcodes of food in order to get a more accurate calorie count.  You can also log exercise to see how many calories you may have burned. 

This website also has a forum that is very encouraging, funny, and insightful.  They even have various boards such as Fitness and Exercise, Diet and Nutrition, and the Kitchen Sink (my favorite board). 

2.  FitBit- I recently purchased this FitBit after my previous FitBit decided to go MIA.  I narrowed down the area to where I lost it to somewhere between the thrift shop and Wal-Mart.  My hubby and I even went on a quest to find it the night it went missing.  He quit playing WoW (which is a big deal) to help me run around the town looking for it.

This FitBit is hidden in a bracelet, which is harder for me to lose.  It is also water-resistant so  you can wear it in the pool and not be afraid of losing it.  This FitBit will also track your sleeping patterns.  It surprised me that I wake up (on average) around 6 times a night.  No wonder I was so tired when I woke up the next morning!

FitBit will also sync to the LoseIt app so that it will automatically log the calories burned for the day.  Also, the FitBit app will sync the food logged in LoseIt to the FitBit app so that you can see the calories consumed. 

The only drawback to this FitBit is the fact that it does not display the actual number of steps taken.  Instead, there are five small lights that are used to track your goal.  It shows the progress in percentages (one light =20% of the goal).  You can use Bluetooth to connect to the FitBit via your phone, which is handy since when I am exercising, I generally use my phone as my music source. 

3.  Shoes-  I am currently wearing Pink Asics.  I usually don't wear pink anything, but in an effort to become more visible to others around me when exercising on the street, I wanted to be as bright as possible.  These shoes have a thick sole and provide great support for my low arch.  So far, they have spared me from the pain of plantar-fasciitis. 

I used to wear Adidas Soltec 2 running shoes but the style was discontinued at the store where I buy my shoes.  The only drawback is that these shoes had air vents (is that even a proper description?) in the bottom that would allow water to seep in and soak your socks.  They were great to wear while running in the heat but were terrible when it came to running on wet streets. 

4.  Bike- I currently have a White Specialized bike equipped with a rear carrier rack.  Since I only live about 2 miles from work, it is nice to be able to ride to work, when the weather allows.   Currently, the heat index has been unbearably hot, so I have been using the car.  Once the weather cools down, I will start my commute to work again. 

5.  This blog-   Knowing that someone out there will be reading and empathizing with me each step of the way will keep me accountable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment