Thursday, March 25, 2010

To start my own business or not....

Well, to say "start a business" is a bit of an exageration. It's more like, sell things that I do as a hobby. My co-workers have been telling me for a while that I should get a booth at the holiday bazaar on-campus... especially every time I bring a new purse into the office. This has inspired me and is making me think harder about actually selling the products that I create. I have also had several complements on a tie purse that I made a few months back, even from complete strangers.

Since some of the people that are telling me to open up a booth are typical flea-market/craft fair perusers, I take this as a complement.

I do admit that I usually go to the holiday bazaar to "scope out" the competition and see what is in-style. I have also created an etsy account to sell my wares, but the $.10 per item price has detered me... why? I do not know.

The only problem with me opening an online store is the fact that there are not really any good fabric/craft stores around where I live. The closest one is an hour away. Another reason is that it will take some startup money to get me going. Usually, I just buy for one project, not one project x 4 items. One more factor is time. I am working a full-time job and going to school.... okay. the last reason is just an excuse. There is plenty of time for me to make stuff. Supplies are the main reason.

Does anyone out there in blogger land have an idea about start an etsy shop or a booth?

2 comments:

  1. Nicole, you could definitely sell your creations! One low-cost way to begin could be to get these people who "love your purse" to buy one. You could print some business cards and hand them to people that compliment you. Word of mouth could be a good way to start. P.S. you could try Etsy for only a dime. Just try one item and see how long it takes to sell. Tell me how this turns out!

    ReplyDelete